The Virtual SAN 6.2 release was a milestone for the company. In the release we really focused on not only bringing enterprise class data efficiency features but we also increased the simplicity and VSAN operations features in the vSphere Web Client for customers.
I can tell you the amount of work that goes into such a release takes all hands to the pump.
Although we make every effort to ensure our partners and customers have access to the latest material that we develop for this release it can some times be hard to keep up. I’ve collected a list of resources here that you hopefully are aware of.
New product enhancements include:
- All-Flash Deduplication/Compression: Deduplication eliminates duplicate copies of repeating data within the same Disk Group. This feature is enabled/disabled for the whole cluster. Dedupe and compression happens during de-staging from the caching tier to the capacity tier (Deduplication first and then compression). The main value add is storage savings that could range between 2x to 7x depending on the workloads
- All-Flash Erasure Coding(RAID5/RAID6): Erasure coding(EC) is a method of data protection in which data is broken into fragments that are expanded and encoded with a configurable number of redundant pieces of data and stored across different nodes. This provides the ability to recover the original data even if some fragments are missing. Erasure coding will provide a much more storage efficient way of providing FTT=1 and FTT=2 on VSAN. This is a setting per VMDK/Object (RAID5 is 3+1 and RAID6 is 4+2).
- Performance monitoring: Comprehensive performance monitoring in vCenter UI with common metrics across all levels (cluster, individual physical SSD/HDD, virtual disks)
- Capacity reporting: A VSAN specific capacity view to report cluster-wide space utilization as well as detailed breakdown by data/object types. When dedup/compression/EC is enabled, it shows normalized space utilization and savings of these features
- Health Service enhancements: proactive rebalance from UI, event based VC alarming, etc.
- SDK for Automation & Third party integration: VSAN management SDK extended from vSphere API to deploy/config/manage/monitor VSAN. This will be available through many language binding (Soap, .Net, Java, Perl, Python, and Ruby) & will include code samples.
- Software Checksum: End-to-end checksum that helps provide data integrity by detecting and repairing data corruption that could be caused by bit rot or other issues in the physical storage media. checksum is enabled by default, but may be enabled or disabled on per virtual machine/object basis via SPBM.
- Quality of Service (QoS): Set IOPS Limits: This provides the ability to set the maximum IOPS a VMDK can take (This will be a hard limit). This is a setting per VMDK, through Storage Policy-Based Management (SPBM). Customers wanting to mix diverse workloads will be interested in being able to keep workloads from impacting each other and avoiding the noisy neighbor issue.
- IPv6 Support: Support for pure IPv6 environments
- Virtual SAN 6.2 What’s New Whitepaper – https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_Whats_New.pdf
- Product Download – https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_virtual_san/6_2
- Doc Landing – http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/virtual-san-pubs.html
- Release Notes – http://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/vsan/62/vmware-virtual-san-62-release-notes.html
- Administration Guide – http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-AEF15062-1ED9-4E2B-BA12-A5CE0932B976.html
- Hardware Compatibility List – https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan
- Certification Suite – https://developercenter.vmware.com/group/storage/virtual-san/certs/6.2
- Virtual SAN Mgmt SDK – http://developercenter.vmware.com/sdks (also available from Product Download Page)
- VSAN Ready Node Configurator – http://vsanreadynode.vmware.com
- VSAN Sizing and TCO Tool – https://vsantco.vmware.com/
- VMware Virtual SAN 6.2 Space Efficiency Technologies Whitepaper_ – https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-62-space-efficiency-technologies.pdf
- Virtual SAN 6.2 Datasheet – https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_Datasheet.pdf
- Virtual SAN 6.2 Stretched Cluster and ROBO Guide – https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-virtual-san-6.2-stretched-cluster-guide.pdf
- Virtual SAN 6.2 Design and Sizing Guide – https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/virtual-san-6.2-design-and-sizing-guide.pdf
There will be more updates in the coming weeks. Also some blogs to look at for more information
- What’s New for Virtual SAN 6.2 – http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2016/02/10/whats-new-for-virtual-san-6-2
- Overview of Virtual SAN 6.2 features – http://cormachogan.com/2016/02/10/vsan-6-2-an-overview-of-the-new-virtual-san-6-2-features/
- Introducing the 4th Generation of Virtual SAN – https://blogs.vmware.com/virtualblocks/2016/02/10/introducing-you-to-the-4th-generation-virtual-san/
- Virtual SAN – The Number 1 HCI Solution in the Market – https://blogs.vmware.com/virtualblocks/2016/02/10/vmware-virtual-san-the-1-hci-solution-in-the-market/
There are plenty of others. The best place to stay up to date is to bookmark our Technical Resources place https://www.vmware.com/products/virtual-san/resources or follow us on twitter @vmwarevsan